Prepare to love another squash! Pumpkin and carrot soups tend to get a lot of play in the fall and winter months, but many squash varieties produce unparalleled flavor profiles and get, well, totally ignored. From Butternut to Kabocha (my favorite!) this Roasted Winter Squash and Carrot Soup recipe calls for anything other than pumpkin.
Expand your flavor horizons, PaleoVegan friends! This is a classic to be topped with Paleo Vegan Diet “Sour Cream”
- 1 lb. C
- ½ Cup
- 1 Tablespoon Mustard Seed
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
Preheat oven to 210°C.
Line a large roasting pan with parchment paper. Place pumpkin and carrot in lined pan. Drizzle over 2 tablespoons of olive oil and toss to coat.
Roast for 30-35 minutes or until golden and tender.
- In medium pot, add onion and salt with remaining olive oil cooking on medium heat for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook for an additional 15 minutes or until soft.
- Add spices and garlic, stirring until aromatic and mustard seeds have begun to pop.
- Add the roasted squash and carrots, stock, and water to the pot and increase to medium heat, and cover. Bring to low boil and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Set aside.
PaleoVegan Diet “Sour Cream”
- ½ Cup Raw Cashews
- ⅓ Cup Water
- ½ Teaspoon Lime Juice
- ½ Teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ Teaspoon Sea Salt
- ¾ Teaspoon Nutritional Yeast
- In a medium bowl, cover cashews with water and soak for 2 hours.
- Drain the cashews and transfer them to a blender.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Refrigerate to ‘set’.
Bringing the Roasted Winter Squash and Carrot Soup Together:
Transfer the roasted winter squash mixture into a food processor and blend until smooth. (Half at a time)
Transfer back to pot and heat the soup thoroughly.
Serve into bowl, top with PaleoVegan “Sour Cream” to create a swirled effect.
Garnish with Pumpkin Seeds if you’re fancy. Or skip it if you’re over the pumpkin crazy.